The Barbados Substance Abuse Badge for Organised Youth Groups will deliver age and culturally appropriate drug education to children and young people associated with organised youth groups. The curriculum has been developed in a manner that allows for delivery to youth groups regardless of their use of a merit award system.
This universal prevention programme will cover topics such as:
- Drugs & Society
- Alcohol & Other Drugs
- Drugs & Youth
The Barbados Substance Abuse Badge for Organised Youth Groups curriculum is divided into the following groups:
- Level 1: Age 4 – 6 years
- Level 2: Age 7 – 11 years
- Level 3: Age 12 – 18 years
- Level 4: Adult Leaders
At each level, with increasing complexity, participants will get the opportunity to:
- Explore factual information about the effects of drugs and alcohol
- Improve skills to resist peer pressure
- Develop general life skills such as decision-making
- Research the impact of drugs on society
The curriculum is designed in a manner which allows for each level to be taught independently, however, the individual who has the opportunity to encounter multiple levels will also benefit from the reinforcement of previously taught concepts and new dimensions as they progress.